No justice for the death of Khmer Krom Buddhist monk Venerable Thach Khan

(picture from Phnom Penh Post)

A senior Khmer Krom Buddhist monk was stabbed to death on January 12, 2015. Venerable Thach Khan, 34, was a known activist, heavily involved in the anti-Vietnam Kampuchea Krom demonstrations in Phnom Penh.

Thach Khan, deputy chief monk of the Meanchey district pagoda, died in a private clinic after a 17 year-old monk stabbed him in the throat with a knife following a dispute in the pagoda.

On June 23, 2015, the Municipal Phnom Penh Court released the verdict of the perpetrator Ly Toeng. He was sentenced to 5 years in prison and ordered to pay a fine of $5,000.00.

Venerable Thach Thaovry, in charge of the Samaki Rangse pagoda administration, stated that he was satisfied with the court’s judgment as a Buddhist follower. However, he believed that Ly Toeng did not carry out this act alone and there were more people involved in this crime. Prior to the attack, he said they lived peacefully in the pagoda. According to Venerable Thaovry, Ly Toeng was very gentle and have never had a previous argument with Venerable Thach Kan. He added that both the police and the court did not conduct a proper investigation of the case, including during the hearing, in which Ly Toeng did not say anything.

Screen Shot 2015-06-24 at 2.22.46 PM

At the Municipal Phnom Penh Court on the released the verdict day.


MIRO staff interviewed with Khmer Krom Buddhist monk Human Rights defender when came out from the Municipal Phnom Penh court after released the verdict.

Screen Shot 2015-06-24 at 2.25.42 PM

MIRO staff interviewed with Venerable Thach Thaovry, in charge of the Samaki Rangse pagoda administration related to the verdict.

unnamed (1)


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>